Tuesday, December 3, 2013

You Can't Make This Stuff Up #2

 Reading into the second section, I was not disappointed. As I had hoped, Gutkind included information on immersion and had also discussed the power of story and how to read. Although there wasn't much, I learned about the end of an immersion and it will most likely effect the author more than the subject. I find it to be interesting that after spending an immense amount of time with somebody, the two could still have opposing viewpoints on the experience both had gone through. When Gutkind explained his story of the doctor who disagreed with his portrayal, I was shocked that he had not felt he was accurately depicted, even after the cafeteria lady called him a hero. I found that Gutkind's use of the story of Thomas and Linda  to teach the power of story follows his advice on using story to teach information and it was nice to see an author put his advice into action. Although it was extremely personal and sad, it was an example that will stick with readers. Last, I enjoyed the introduction to how to read. It seems like such a simple task, but I m sure Gutkind has method behind his madness.

No comments:

Post a Comment