Monday, December 2, 2013

You Can't Make This Stuff Up #1

As the book started, I wasn't initially very impressed, but as I read on, I fell into the writing pattern of Gutkind and fell in love with the topic. With very little knowledge on non fiction, I assumed there wasn't much to it, but now I not only understand the complexity of non fiction but also that of creative non fiction.one of my favorite parts of this section is  the story of D'Agata and his relentless wish to publish a story that was largely exaggerated and false. It made me think of how journalists could truly paint any picture in the readers mind they wished without fact checking and readers that are aware of the world around them. As an aspiring journalist, it also terrifies me that with a simple mistake, someone's reputation could crumble. Another topic that caught my attention was Immersion. Maybe it's because I believed that was the only way to collect factual information for a story,  but the concept intrigues me. Granted it's not a life long goal, I would love to spend time immersing myself in someone else's life to share their story. However, after reading Gutkinds explanation on how long you should remain immersed with a subject baffles me. My question is how do you know when the story ends? I feel that everyday, no matter how miniscule,  is another story that makes an end impossible to find without death. I look forward to reading more on his philosophy on immersion and his advice on how to conduct it.

No comments:

Post a Comment